The school receives a core allocation of Sports Premium money to spend on core targeted focus areas to improve sports provision and general health across the school community.
Annual detailed expenditure impact is presented and approved by the Finance Committee and Full Governing Body at the end of the financial year. Core allocations and outcomes are detailed.
Core areas of expenditure include;
- provision of specialist coaches for sports delivery
- impact upon external coaching for sports clubs
- impact upon inter-school competitions across the region
- impact upon core health outcomes of children
- development of core professional development opportunities for staff in school to both maintain no develop sports provision at Ayresome
- equity and equality for all children in the provision of sportswear and clothing to access sports provision
The impact of Sports Premium was realised in the school being awarded the Most Improved Sports School of 2016/17 across the Local Authority. The increased participation rates across school are resulting in improved outcomes in Key Stage 2 attainment and achievement, the school was above floor standards for coasting schools and progress in 2018 and 2019.
The additional HLTA Sports Coach is adding extra sustainability across school in targeted CPD needs and core coaching opportunities from 2018-19. Teachers work alongside core professionals to up-skill in sports teaching and knowledge of exercise and fitness.
The menu of sports activities has been extended and is impacting upon overall mental health and children’s health and well-being as evidenced in pupil surveys. Mental Health achievement is recognised in Headstart Gold accreditation and Gold Rights Respecting School Award (RRSA). In addition, in 2018-19, school achieved the Games Mark Gold Award and was second runner up in the School Sports Awards 2018/19 across the Local Authority in 2019.