Welcome to Year 2. You will find all the information you need on this page.
In Year 2, we have 4 classes:
- Spruce class – The class teacher is Miss Dunn and our classroom assistant is Miss Neal
- Larch class – The class teachers are Mrs Robson and Miss Blount and our classroom assistant is Mrs Taylor
- Pine class – The class teacher is Miss Mann and our classroom assistant is Miss Morgan
- Pecan class – The class teacher is Miss Bullock and our classroom assistants are Miss Mercurio, Mrs Adams (1:1) and Miss Fawcett (1:1)
In Year 2, we love to make learning fun. A normal day in Year 2 consists of the following lessons – Maths, Phonics, English, Topic/Science/RE, Reading and story-time. Where possible, we try to plan cross-curricular activities so Maths, English and Reading are incorporated into most things the children do – (therefore building on their core skills and allowing them to make links and comparisons across subjects). We try to make lessons as hands-on as possible, and love exploring and learning in our greenspace.
We are a Read Write Inc. Phonics school. The Read Write Inc. programme teaches children to read accurately and fluently with good comprehension. They learn to form each letter, spell correctly, and compose their ideas step-by-step.
In English, we cover a range of texts (fiction and non-fiction) that are linked to our topic to keep children engaged and stimulated. Each writing cycle is made up of analysing quality texts which are liked to our chosen genre, teaching of Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling skills to use in their writing, drama to keep the children engaged and enhance their ability to think in role of a character, planning for a big write and editing. Handwriting is also taught alongside.
Spellings will be sent home at the beginning of the week – they will need to practise these spellings for their test on Friday.
As a school, we follow White Rose scheme of work for Maths where we cover:
- Number – Place value, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division
- Measurement – Money, Length and Height, Time, Capacity and Temperature
- Geometry – Properties of Shape and Position and Direction
Alongside our Maths lessons, children have a ‘5 a day’ session that is used to address misconceptions found from previous lessons – this enables us to identify gaps and move children on in their learning. They are also taught times tables where we start counting in 2s, 3s, 5s and 10s, moving to writing out their times tables and solving problems using this knowledge.
We have a range of exciting topics that we cover over the year, including: Our Town, The Queen, The Great Fire of London, Captain Cook, Beside the Seaside and Farming. We have a range of fiction and non-fiction texts that enhance our topics.
We cover 4 key questions in RE, these are:
- Who is a Muslim and what do they believe?
- Who is Jewish and what do they believe?
- What can we learn from sacred books?
- How should we care for others and the world, and why does it matter?
In Science, we learn about Materials and their properties, Animals, including Humans, Living things and Plants. Here is one of our exciting new displays!
We always look forward to seeing each and every child grow as the year progresses.
Year 2 Team